Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Li, charcoal sketches

The setting: the International Art Club The Hague, life portrait drawing class. My friend Li was the model for the day.  (The advantage of being the coordinator for the class is that I get to pick the models.)

I labored over the first two drawings of 25 minutes each. Then, we did a quick ten minute sketch, the first image shown here.  I didn't have time to overthink it. For me, the result somehow captures something of the character of the model, the warmth of the spring day, and the setting of  a sleepy, too-warm classroom.

The second drawing is one of the more finished 25 minute drawings.  The hair, which was transformed from a boring wallpaper into something more alive and interesting is entirely to the credit of my portrait mentor, Pien Hazenburg.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment